Does it make you feel better to know that even Jesus was tested? What can we learn from his response to the devil’s schemes?
We see Jesus in this passage from the perspective of knowing who he is and how his life played out. Imagine if we were only seeing him for the first time in these few verses. What if we didn’t understand or realize he was the Son of God? Read the passage again through that lens (yes, I know it’s hard).
What are your impressions now? Here are some of my observations.
- The devil knew Jesus was the Son of God. I wonder how?
- I can’t imagine not eating for 40 days! I definitely would be hungry, I’d want to eat everything in sight!
- Boy, Jesus was strong to resist that bread!
- The devil tried to use Scripture, too, to fool Jesus. Crafty. Some people try to use it for their own purposes, too.
- Why didn’t Jesus run away from the devil?